Monday, February 10, 2014

expectations


No one has ever been more excited to win anything than Kenzi was when she won this tool set at the annual Lions Club pancake breakfast on Saturday (except maybe Kasen, who won an ice scraper last year).

The surprise of hearing her name called literally lifted her out of her seat and had her running to the prize table to receive her very first socket set. Her smile lit up the room for the rest of the hour, not the least bit concerned with the impractical nature of the prize.

I was sitting on the opposite side of the table, next to Tessa, when Kenzi's big win occurred. And suddenly Tessa was presented with the challenge of now expecting to hear her name called as well. But her name wasn't immediately called, which gave her time to eye the prize table. Presenting the additional challenge of not only expecting her name to be called, but expecting her prize to be the giant flashlight that was obviously the missing piece to the magic show she performs for us nightly.

"Expectations" has been a huge word for me in the past week. Realizing how easily I am disappointed when they aren't met. How I, like Tessa, have so much room to grow in patience and being a gracious receiver of what is offered to me, even if it isn't what I've laid out so carefully in my mind.

At the same time I am fiercely against the adage, "Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed." I think this is a terrible philosophy. One that denies the opportunity for hard work, dreaming big, and growth in times of disappointment.

I would much rather teach Tessa to Walk With an expectant attitude, to expect to hear her name called, and expect the giant flashlight as her prize, but to be happy regardless. (And to confess to her that I am continuing to learn and grow right alongside her.)

But before I could get around to discussing this life lesson with Tessa, her name was called.

And when Kevin told her that her prize was a bottle of tire cleaner, she responded, "But I wanted the giant flashlight." And he kindly gave it to her.


Because sometimes life really does measure up to the fullness of our expectations!

(With special thanks to Judy and Kevin for making it happen!)


No comments:

Post a Comment