Thursday, February 6, 2014

cancer

In honor of World Cancer Day, many of my Facebook friends "purpled" their profile pictures this week. Even more impacting for me were the people who then added their stories--their personal "why" behind the purple.

It reminded me that a month ago I was doing a 5k walk on a cruise ship with 30 or so others who had been impacted in some way.

While cancer is not prevalent in my family, it still feels important to make a stand against this disease and its effects on our world. Not just on our physical health, but also on our spiritual, mental, and emotional well being.


On the last day of our cruise, as we were going through the disembarkation process, I got to chatting with a 79-year-old couple. They heard me yell "Happy Birthday" to my grandma as we said our goodbyes. I told the couple there were 10 of us who came together to celebrate grandma's 80th birthday.

"We'll be 80 too," they said. "We wanted our family to come with us on the cruise, but our daughter had her last round of chemo this week."

"I did the 5k yesterday," I told them. "There were a few survivors who did the walk as well. And lots of loved ones."

"Thank you," they said, the woman with tears rolling down her cheeks. "It makes a difference."

"I'll pray for your daughter," I said. "And her kids, husband, and you."

Even with the emotion evident on their faces, I could see how brave they were. How strong and determined this journey with cancer had made them.

To all who Walk With cancer in some way, I pray that each one of you will experience a miracle in some way. Thank you for being brave in the midst of adversity, light in the midst of darkness, and agents for change.


No comments:

Post a Comment