Tuesday, February 25, 2014

don't forget to start

"Whatever you do--for heaven's sake don't forget to start." - John Brierley


I spent all day yesterday mapping my route across Spain, from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago. What routes and detours I want to take. Castles and cathedrals I want to see. Hostels and hotels I want to bunk in. 

Of course it is just a guide, not a rule. 

Because who knows if the weather along the Route de Napolean will even allow me to hike the Pyrenees that first day. Maybe I'll feel inspired in Pamplona and want to spend some extra time writing instead of walking. Will I feel up to the extra miles in order to detour and see the world heritage sites near Azofra? 

I suppose, in this case, it is a good thing that I'm not much of a planner. That being flexible about where the day takes me is more natural to my disposition than challenging. 

But it also felt important to Walk With a plan, so I can see when I'm ahead and when I'm falling behind. I do, after all, have to come home eventually. 

The really important thing at this stage, however, is simply that I start. I have my plane tickets. I'm in the process of packing. And sometime that first week in March I'll take my first steps along el Camino de Santiago. 


2 comments:

  1. As the kids might say today...

    Y U No blog today? Moar blog plz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. My bad! Kari must have kept me out too late last night. ;) Actually I hurt my neck so I spent the day on a massage table... a rough day, I know, but I'm not supposed to be sore until next week, AFTER I start carrying a 20 pound pack for 15 miles a day!! I promise to do better tomorrow!! Thanks for holding me accountable Mike!

      Delete