Monday, April 28, 2014

Day 55

Day 55: Barbadelo to Portomarin - 18.2 km ALL ON FOOT!!

Tony from New Zealand reminded me today of the saying: "The Camino provides."

He was telling me about his experience with a torn meniscus a few weeks ago, followed by blisters that had him resting and taking a taxi. All to remind him to slow down.

"That was my lesson too!" I said. "I did so well when Randy was here, but then it--I--fell apart."

"It's easier to make a pact with someone else," he said. "But harder to make one to yourself."

He was walking with Andrea, who he met before he got hurt and just bumped into again today, because now she has a torn meniscus. But her spirits were high, which she attributed to "happening" to run into Tony again.

"I've stopped trying to explain things," Tony said. "It's simply the Camino."

I agree. Or rather, for me, it is God working through those who walk with me and others.

Like the man in the beret, carrying a mandolin, who mysteriously showed up today every time I had to cross a stream, rocky bridge, or muddy horse trail. He silently took my hand each time and led me safely to the other side. And then he would disappear until I needed him again.

And there were the ladies standing outside the 12th century church last night in Barbadelo. They said the church was closed. The priest (I think) was sick. But after assessing my crutches, and comparing them to their own canes and walking sticks (twigs really), one of the ladies pulled a key ring out of her apron and let me in. She busied herself dusting the altar while the other woman kissed Mary and I simply watched and listened.

Later my albergue hostess told me I was lucky. Very very lucky. I didn't even know how lucky. But very very lucky.

I got the impression the church had been closed a very long time.

Evandro from Brazil affirmed this for me over dinner when he said he had tried twice to get in to no avail.

We lingered over our meal, spending 3 hours in conversation. Ending the evening looking at photo albums with Pedro, our host. Another true friend has been added to my Way!

And today I was encouraged over and over by people I walked with, celebrating together only 100 km to go!

In addition to wishing each other a good journey, we now say "See you in Santiago!" And for the first time in weeks, that actually seems possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment