Thursday, April 10, 2014

Day 36

Day 36: Arcahueja to Leon - 10.5 km

Today was my last day walking with Randy. His flight home is quickly approaching, so tomorrow he will take the bus to Santiago.


I can't even begin to describe the joy it has been to walk 468+ kilometers with this man!

We met on the first 50 meters of the journey. And I haven't spent a moment walking without him since.

We tackled the Pyrenees, even camping on the mountain top!


We've walked through snow, rain, heat, and wind. Over the Meseta (barrenness) and along the Senda (path right alongside the highway).

Attended Mass and visited Cathedrals.

Eaten every meal together for the past 35 days. And slept in the same tent, hotel, apartment, hostel, monastery, or albergue every night.


I've witnessed his generosity every single day. From giving Tuscany his belt and New Zealand his sleeping bag. To taking time to listen to people's stories, even if he has to stand in the cold and rain or drink another bottle of wine to do it. He makes people feel at home, even if he doesn't speak their language. And today he stopped traffic so an old lady could cross the street.

He has heard me laugh and heard me snore. Popped my blisters and shown me which muscles to stretch so I'll stop being sore. Carried food for us both (okay for me, but sometimes I share!) and taken weight out of my pack. Allowed me to cry when I need to and taught me to rest.

I can't imagine walking without him.


But one of the many things I love about Randy is that he believes in me. No matter how much I have relied on him over the past 5 weeks, he has never once doubted that I could make it to Santiago. That I will.

I am equally proud of him and his Camino. The way he has stayed true to his path. And all that it has brought him.


Someday we will meet again in Leon and finish "our" Camino together. I'm sure of it.

But for tomorrow, at least, we venture on our own.  


3 comments:

  1. Thank you Katie for taking care of Randy. Now press on, you're almost there!

    Robert & Suzanne Ubry

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. We can't wait to follow in your footsteps.

    Robert & Suzanne Ubry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I asked Randy a couple weeks back if he thought any of you guys would be interested in the Camino, and he said between hiking and marathons it would definitely be of interest! Buen Camino!!

      Delete