Monday, April 21, 2014

Day 48

Day 48: Villafranca del Bierzo to Trabedelo - 10.2 km

The morning manager was waiting for me when I came downstairs today.

"I'm ready!" I said, limping down the stairs.

"Sort of," he indicated.

We laughed and said goodbye. He could tell my spirit was high, and that can make all the difference.

At breakfast a Canadian woman told me she had taken a taxi 40 kilometers yesterday to get here and she felt all the better for having rested and spent the night at this "splendid" hotel. (It was only a one-star, but even that is a step up from most albergues.)

To add to my high spirit, I went to the post office and shipped 3.5 kilos of my belongings to Santiago. The content of my backpack is now down to almost nothing. It may not sound like a lot of weight to lose, but every pound off my back and feet make a difference!

I chose to take the "easy" road today, walking alongside the highway rather than climbing the optional 1-3 mountain passes. Not knowing how my feet would fair, I decided to stick close to bars and albergues in case I needed ice or a taxi or bed. And even though I didn't get the beautiful mountain top vistas, the walk beside the mountains was still breathtaking. And allowed me time to stop and ice my foot while enjoying a salad for lunch at a little bar along the way.

Even though I was just warming up, I decided to stop for the night in Trabedelo, where the local vegetarian restaurant offered great accommodations, food and company.

Including Peter, a pastor/church planter/missionary/writer from England who just retired from a job with a Christian nonprofit. He is walking the Camino to take a break before having to figure out what is next. "I thought I would think about it here," he said, "but I don't think much at all." I find this to be true as well. Hours and kilometers can pass without any concern except for the taking of each step.

We shared memorable moments and people who have made our Camino. The diabetic who passed out on the first day on the side of the trail. The man who chomped his teeth in his sleep. The Norwegian who introduced himself as Dolphin because no one could pronounce his real name. The woman who went home from Leon with a fractured heel.

Peter is a true adventurer, with a supportive family who will meet him in Santiago in two weeks to celebrate. He knew I was hurting and reminded me that it isn't HOW you get to Santiago that is important. It's that you take time to give and receive, cherish and celebrate the journey, all along the Way.

No comments:

Post a Comment