Monday, January 27, 2014

selah, take 2

Mike A. from the "My One Word" blog made me feel so much better about not having a word of the year yet when he admitted to needing the month of January to try on a bunch of words before committing, on February 1, to one.

So here's the plan. Each day this week I will "try on" one of the words I blogged about last week. See how it fits, how it feels, if it challenges me, and draws me deeper into this life. And on Saturday, February 1, I'll choose one--ONE--for the year. Your comments throughout the week are most welcome!


SELAH

My entire weekend was like one big selah. A musical interlude between verses of your favorite song. A pause for deep breaths and fresh air and gratefulness.

The sunrises and sunsets, the mounds of blowing snow have all been an invitation for me to sit at the feet of Jesus. To reflect. To refocus. To remember my priorities and keep them in check.

And so I have sat. Literally. And paused to watch and wait and listen.

"You sat down in a snow drift today," my dad said. "For a while."
"Yes," I agreed.

Because when you need a pause, an interlude, a selah you don't let cold or wet or who might be watching stand in your way. You don't say 'maybe later' or 'I don't have time for that' or 'that's a nice thought, but...'

You simply sit in the snow and watch the sky change colors. You notice the way the freezing rain burns your face and makes you feel alive. You let the neighbors dog sit on your lap and lick your face. You thank God for being with you in the good, bad, happy, sad, change, constancy, undecidedness, and the deliberate.

Because when you don't take that necessary pause you feel overwhelmed, off center, like the snow drifts are too deep to brave.

I'm grateful for this weekend of deep breathing. Now if I could just remember to do it every day...


No comments:

Post a Comment