Wednesday, January 29, 2014

commitment, take 2


"You are a brave soul," the woman with a cold said as I walked into the YMCA at 8:30 yesterday morning to get in a workout. My car registered negative 10 degrees and was one of few in the parking lot.

"I'm trying," I said, thinking about yesterday's blog on bravery.

But the truth was, my showing up to exercise had nothing to do with bravery. And everything to do with commitment.

I went to the gym because I'm committed to being healthy, now and for my future. And because I'm committed to walking across Spain this year.

And I was brave yesterday with my nieces because I'm committed to them, to loving them, protecting them when they are on my watch, and encouraging their curiosity, energy, and spiritual growth.

I've previously thought that I had to be brave in order to commit, but now I see that it also works the other way around. Commitment makes you brave, and makes others see you as brave. It gives you the courage to do things that are scary or hard or even dangerous.

Perhaps I will be less intimidated by this word--commitment--if I can see it as a source, an inspiration, for being brave.


No comments:

Post a Comment