Thursday, January 30, 2014

explore, take 2


That crazy person laying in the grass outside my office window is my boyfriend. If you are wondering what he is doing in negative 4 degree temperatures just laying there I will tell you: he's exploring the light.

I've been watching this exploration for a few months now and it has been absolutely beautiful. It started with sunrises. Then sunsets. And now it has progressed to any time the sun is up he wants to be in it, with it, celebrating this discovery that there is life outside of darkness.

Many of us live in darkness. Either in our own minds, through negativity, depression, etc. Or literally, hiding behind walled offices and closed curtains. Going to work when it is dark and not returning home until it is dark again. Or working a shift that requires sleeping during the day.  

But not me. And now not him. We are drawn to the light. To lay in it (yes I've been out there on the grass and snow in these temperatures too!). Walk in it. Be grateful for it. To allow it to penetrate us so that we can then share that light with you. Because we are not the light, but we can bear witness to the light that is available to all.

There are countless Scriptures that talk about light but here is one of my favorites:

“Awake, O sleeper, 
rise up from the dead,
and Christ will give you light.”


One of the richest treasures of my life is to encourage this kind of exploration in others. 



No comments:

Post a Comment