Sunday, March 9, 2014

Day 5

Day 5: Espinal to Zubiri - 16 km

I stopped at a panaderia for a baguette this morning on the way out of town. The woman said nothing would be open until the town of Zubiri because it was "Domingo" - Sunday. Which is how I ended up using the bathroom at what I'm pretty sure was a frat house, at least by the way the boys eyed me when I asked to use their "servicios". It was still a better option, however, than changing my tampon in the woods (my apologies... just keeping it real!).

We did happen upon an open supermarket and grabbed rations for lunch... fruit, cheese, ham, and beer, which is actually recommended to drink during the day.

I'm still walking with Randy from California. We had a great conversation today about continuing to walk together. Should we? For how long?

He agreed with me that we met by divine appointment. And that that didn't mean we were to walk together all the way to Santiago. I've been asking God for wisdom on this one. Because I don't want either of us to be denied the lessons and growth we are here for by relying on one another too much.

We compliment each other well. He encourages me to slow down, look up, and breathe. I encourage him to push harder and to smile while doing it.

My boyfriend sent me the song "Opposites Attract" recently because we too compliment each other. Where I am weak he is strong. Where he is weak I am strong. Not so we need each other, but so that we can be stronger together and help each other grow stronger on our own.

Perhaps that is how long I am to walk with Randy. Until I can slow down and he can not give up.

We happened upon a food truck at lunch and added green olives and pineapple juice to our picnic. A salty meal to help us retain what water we had left.

When we crossed the Puente de Rabia (bridge where legend has it you can walk your animals across 3 times and they will be cured of rabies) we had to decide whether we would stay here in Zubiri or venture on another 6 km. Our feet told us to stay.

So here we are, rooming with folks from South Africa, Holland, North Dakota, South Korea, and New Zealand. It isn't "fancy" like last night, but I'm glad we did not pass up this opportunity to make new friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment