Saturday, March 15, 2014

Day 10

Day 10: Puente la Reina to Estella - 21.9 km

My longest walk yet! And my first blister.

To be honest I didn't want to walk as far as I did. But the albergues in the four small towns I walked through hadn't yet opened for the season. A larger number of pilgrims will begin walking in April, so the hostels will all be open and pilgrims will have more options to take shorter or longer walks.

The long walk was actually more of a mental challenge than a physical one. Even though my feet were sore and tired, it was my mind that struggled to stay present and positive.

I got the boost I needed when, after 18 km, Randy and I finally found a bar open and could treat ourselves to a "cerveza con limon" - half beer, half lemon soda. The boost wasn't just the cold drink, however. It was also that our bartender, a beautiful young woman from Brazil, wanted her photo taken with the two Americans crazy enough to walk across Spain.

I was reminded that this walk is about more than just me. It has the potential to touch people all over the world. So it is important to work hard, work happy, and give more than I receive.

I'm taking a rest day in Estella, a town of 15,000 with much to do and see, including not wearing my hiking boots, writing some postcards, and reminding myself how lucky I am to be on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment