Friday, May 9, 2014

fresh air

One of the most amazing benefits of walking the Camino is the opportunity to spend at least 8 hours a day outside in the fresh air. In rain and sun. Snow and wind. Mountains and vineyards. Small towns and on city streets. 


For many of us we haven't taken this kind of time to "play outside" since we were kids. (It's no wonder I first got the idea to walk across Spain when I was working in an office, 40+ hours a week.)


But lucky for me I now have a life, a "schedule", that allows me to enjoy the fresh air. To sit in the sun with my dog. Stand outside and talk to the neighbors. Dig in the dirt and plant vegetables with my dad. Let the fresh air come in through the screen doors to fill the house with air worth breathing.


I feel for those who walked with me, whose lifestyle doesn't ordinarily allow for these long hours outdoors, and hope they are able to find some way to make time for fresh air. Because I can't imagine what it would be like to walk across Spain and then have to go back to an office.


No comments:

Post a Comment